Garage Door Maintenance
Garage doors include many components though they appear simple in construction. The common problems that one may encounter with garage doors are :
!. One of the common problems is that it may become difficult to lift or lower. This problem can be solved with minor adjustments. But if the problem persists then it may be with the electric opener. In this case discard the electric opener by pulling the release lever. If the door works smoothly then it is the mistake of the electric opener. Refer to your user's manual.
2. If you feel that it is impossible to lift the door or if you feel the door is unusually heavy then this may be the result of spring malfunction. In this case contact the manufacturer.
3. Problems with working the door may arise due to a poor alignment of the lock mechanism. Repairing this needs no expertise and you can do it yourself just by realigning the lock mechanism and retightening the screws.
4. If you have a wood door make sure you have painted both the inside and outside of the door. If you have left the exterior painted and the interior untouched then the moisture will cause the paint to peel off and the door may warp.
5. Apply oil to all hinges and rollers so that they operate smoothly. If you find any screws that are loose then tighten them immediately before it falls off.
6. Binding is another problem. Find out if one or both of the tracks need adjustment. Then all you have to do is to loosen the mounting bolt and with a hammer and a wood block adjust the track in the right direction and then tighten the bolt. This makes the tracks to be properly aligned and guide the rollers easily preventing binding.
7. You may have to ask a professional to install metal reinforcing strips or rods across the inner face of the door if you have a problem with your door when it is in the raised position and if it sags in the middle. This is another problem caused by a swing-up one piece door. In this case, you may have to replace the door with a roll-up door.
Garage door is a heavy, large piece of furniture and it may show signs of wear and tear with it's daily use. The door may become difficult to lift and lower. The best way to avoid this is to attend to the problem immediately before it can get worser.